– If a man were to die, would you rather step on his head and sing a jolly song or die with him?
– I do not know. What sort of a man would he be?
– A most saintly one, with nothing for the angels to find but good deeds and virtuous thoughts.
– Well, I suppose I would step on him and sing then. A good man like him would not mind.
– And what if it were the devil himself?
– Or herself.
– Yes, or herself?
– Well, surely that would depend on whether it’s himself or herself.
– What if it were herself?
– Why, sing on the dead body of course. Certainly in the most heavenly realm of God a female devil would not dare get close to me, a man, for fear of breach of modesty, would she?
– I imagine not. And if it were himself?
– Death. Death it would be.